Erick Bravo – “Sharky” – Dark Side Tattoo – Phoenix, Arizona3033 W. Clarendon Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85017
1. First of all we want to thank you for the opportunity to interview and feature you on inkarmy.com. How did you get into the tattooing? How long have you been tattooing professionally?
I appreciate it, it’s definitely an honor to be interviewed by inkarmy.com. I’ve been drawing all my life, it’s been a passion of mine since I was a youngster. My friends kept pushing me to tattoo them since I was so good at drawing, so one day I made a homemade tattoo gun & inked the homies up.
2. Tell us about your style of tattooing. Currently you specialize in realism and black and grey. Do you like to do other styles of tattooing or do you mostly focus on that?
I love doing realism style tattoos, black & grey & color too but I mostly focus on black & grey. I don’t mind doing other types of styles, traditional, oriental, Chicano style, I just love tattooing in general.
3. What do your family and friends think out you getting into the tattoo business?
Most of my family weren’t really okay with it at first, I come from a family that’s into Christianity. But having a tattoo shop for 5 years now, they can see that it’s been very beneficial so I’d say that they’re okay with it now.
4. What do you think about the scratchers out there?
Honestly, you gotta start somewhere. But I would recommend those “scratchers” to get an apprenticeship at a shop so they can learn how to tattoo right & stop messing people up. It’s nothing like drawing, you gotta know how to manipulate the tattoo machine & work with people’s skin.
5. Is there any artists in particular who have had a strong influence of you along the way?
When I first started tattooing, I really looked up to Mr. Cartoon & Pint. Now I’m extremely influenced by Robert Paul & Chente Rios for the black & grey, also Daniel Rocha & his realism. My color influenced I would say Nikko Hurtado
6. What is your favorite part about the job?
The best part of the job is to see that at the end of the day people are satisfied and happy with my work, as well as seeing the finished results of my tattoos
7. Did you do an apprenticeship?
I wish I could have. Unfortunately I didn’t, I learned everything on my own. How to work with people’s skins, how to put my tattoo machine together & how to rearrange it whenever it would mess up. Back when I was learning, there wasn’t many opportunities for apprenticeships
8. Are there any parts of the body you will not tattoo and why?
Yeah, I don’t like tattooing the fingers. Simply because the ink fades there.
9. How long have you been Tattooing in Phoenix?
I’ve been tattooing in phoenix for almost 9 years now & I like AZ. It’s the place to be.
10. Is there anything else you would like to add?
Well I would like to thank inkarmy.com for choosing to feature me on their website & I hope to get better in the future. Check out my work on Facebook or on Instagram @erickbravosharkytattos. If you’re ever in AZ & want to get tatted just get at me!
Photography by: Jay Gau